Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Office humor

No question about it, I think the TV show “The Office” is one of the best TV shows of all time.

It perfectly mocks the office environment in all its glory: memos, monotonous tasks, office relationships, conflicting personalities and creative ways to get through the day. (Oh, and Jim Halpert…call me!)

One of the best on-going jokes in my opinion is boss Michael’s Scott’s “that’s what she said” quips.
He inappropriately blurts out that phrase whenever someone says something that could be taken in a sexually suggestive way.

And, in an office, where nothing should be taken sexually, things have a way of…sometimes....sort of...sounding...dirty.
For example:

“I was up all night working on this.” THAT'S WHAT SHE SAID!

"Your box is full." THAT'S...WHAT SHE SAID!

“Once I finish up with him, I'll get started on you." THAT'S WHAT SHE SAID!!


The news staff here has fully adopted "that's what she said" into daily conversations. It’s quite easy in our line of work because with newspapers, size and length matter (that’s what she said!!!!)

The following are direct quotes heard in our office. Please, feel free to fill in the "that's what she said!!" response in your head:

“It was supposed to be a ten-inch story but there’s only eight inches.”

“You think you can fit that in?”

“No, it’s not going to fit in there.”

“I promised her I’d squeeze it in.”

“She didn’t like her picture, she wants me to do it again.”

“How long is it?”

“Friday’s edition? it's been put to bed.”

Hehehehe.
(I'm just kidding, mom, none of this is funny at all.)
Hehehehehe.

After the paper was laid out today (that’s what she said!!!) I looked over at the page designer who was able to fit my very long article into the paper without having to cut it.

“Thanks for squeezing that in,” I told him, as I took my red pen and headed back to my desk. “Oh, and, that’s what she said.”
Seriously, we do this daily. (THAT’S WHAT SHE SAID!!!)

Really, once you train your ear to make out (that's what she said!!!) all the sexual inneuendos in everyday phrases, there is no limit to what can be turned “dirty.”

In a courtroom:
“Juries scare me. I don't want to put it in 12 people’s hands.”

At a school:
“You all did really well on your English exam. You must be worn out!”

At a restaurant:
“Hot meat coming at you from behind!”




Once again, just kidding mom. Not funny at all.

-Jenny

1 comment:

  1. Hmm this is shorter than I thought it would be.... 3...2...1... and go

    ReplyDelete

You might like...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...